Monday, March 19, 2012

How to throw an AWESOME & THRIFTY boys party!!- By Keri

How to throw an AWESOME & THRIFTY BOYS party:



My Son's 8th Birthday Party: (Pirate Theme): $19.50!
 
Each Boy got to bring home:
  • Pirate Sword
  • Gold Coin Bag
  • Eye Patch
  • Belt Swag
  • Pirate Hat
  • CANDY!

That looks IMPOSSIBLE?? Nope, actually it is NOT! Let me teach you how!
12 Swords: $.50/each ($6.00) -- HaloHeaven.com
100 Brown Paper Bags (for popcorn): $2.00 --(Walmart)
2 Black/Pirate tablecloths: $.74/each ($1.48) -- (Target Clearance)
Red Paper Plates: $.97 -- (Walmart)
6 bags popcorn: FREE (from my stockpile that I got for FREE at Albertsons)
12 Bottles RootBeer: FREE! (from my stockpile that I got for FREE at Albertsons)
2 boxes Berry Jello: FREE! (from my stockpile that I for for FREE at Walmart)
5 Large Pizzas: $1.25/each ($6.25) (Safeway Sale)
Cake Mix & Frosting & Candy-- from my stockpile that I got for FREE -- (Albertsons, Safeway, and CVS)
Foam Paper to make EyePatches: $.80 (From Michael's)
Newapaper to make Hats: FREE! (Wall Street Subscription that I got for FREE!)
Decorations: FREE (Found Stuff around the house that could look "pirate-y"
Oranges: $2.00 for a bag (Safeway)
YOU CAN DO IT TOO!
_____________________________________

FIRST TIP: One of the MOST important KEY: Choose your colors! PLAIN colors is the *KEY* Choose 2 or 3 colors as your palette.

(If you choose dots, stripes, character stuff.. etc it is an eyesore!-- ONLY use them as accent!!)

For  Conner's Party, my color palette was: Black, Red, and brown-- with SOME stripes.


TIP: If you are near a window, cover the windows with one of your party colors to cover up the "eyesore" of the outside view which will take away the central focus of your decorations.
 
 
SECOND TIP:  Look through your house to find things that you already have to use as your party decorations! Since this was a pirate theme, I got my chest that I have on the top of the kitchen shelves. Went through my girls' play jewelry to get gold/pearl necklaces and rings to use for the chest.

 
 
THIRD TIP:  Making the cake look elegant and hard to do really impresses your guests! Be sure not to over-do yourself! For this cake, it was easy! I used 3 9"inch circle cake pans and cut the cake in half and lined them up to look like a boat then frosted it!

I cut out paper flags and put them through wooden skewters. I stuck marshmallows to the sides of the boat with candles to look like cannons.

BASIC IDEAS I USED:
Newspaper Hats-- Look online for a tutorial- it is very easy to do. Takes 30 seconds to make one hat!

Hemp Wire/Twine Rope glued on the RootBeer bottles to look like it's old! (Also fits in the theme!)

EyePatches: Foam Paper from Michaels for .80 and cut them out to make them look like pirate patches!

Brown Paper Bags rolled down and filled with popcorn to look like "GOLD TREASURE"

Go through my son's toys and find some boat/Skeleton things to use as a tabletop decoration!




USE YOUR IMAGINATION!!
A very elegant party does not have to be expensive!! :)


FOR A GIRLS PARTY/Tea Party-- GO HERE!!

**ALL PICTURES COPYRIGHTED BY KERI TRAVER!**

 

No comments:

Post a Comment